Saturday, December 10, 2011

Pittie Ambassador

When I started volunteering at the WCAC in the spring of 2010, Pittie-type dogs scared me. Well, “scared” may be too harsh of a word, but I had heard all the news stories and they definitely made me nervous. It was a couple of weeks before I actually did my first Pittie photo shoot. Domingo was a big boy, but he seemed calm, quiet and gentle. And he was. I stood at the back of the kennel. He stood – no, just sat – between me and the door. So gentle, so sweet. Each Pittie I met showed me what kind of dog they could really be.



I began following blogs like “Two Pitties in the City” and “Love and a Six FootLeash.” When Thanksgiving rolled around, it was easy for me to choose a Pittie named Lucy to spend the weekend with me, despite her bouncy nature in the kennel at the Center. Charlie wasn’t so sure, though.


Lucy went with me Saturday evening to pick Charlie up from the airport. She did very well in holding her “licker” – a key issue with any dog as far as Charlie is concerned. Her quiet demeanor and well mannered behavior impressed Charlie. He could really appreciate how cuddly she was and even gave up his spot next to me on the couch.

She won him over to the point that when I went to take her back to the WCAC on Sunday he was fine with me having them make a note in the database that if she gets sick or the shelter runs out of room they should call us before they do anything drastic. Lucy, despite her licker and cat issues had softened his views about what a Pittie was.

Along with his experience with Lucy, he read the article “Licked to Death by a Pitbull,” and has decided to do some of his own research about dog bite statistics and Pittie personality as a breed issue. Maybe he’ll do a guest blog on his thoughts once he does that research.

Lucy showed me that she has the personality to be a good Pittie ambassador and with proper training maybe even a therapy dog.

Lucy
*Featured*
ID #:
46491

Type:
Female Dog
Breed:
American Staffy
Color:
Brindle- Fawn / White
In Shelter:
45 days
Age:
6yrs 10mths 2wks
Weight:
52 pound(s)
Other Information: No Cats; House Trained;
Don't forget to stop by the Center and visit with Lucy today. I just know you'll fall in love with her. Her adoption fee is only $45.00. She's already spayed and can go home with you today. http://services.wakegov.com/adoptiongallery/

No comments: