Wednesday, December 14, 2011

12 Days of Christmas

Or should I say, 12 Days of Lucy

Can you believe it? Can you? Today began the 12 days of Christmas. I have nothing done – no tree, no lights on the house, no presents, no cards. But that’s not nearly as important as trying to find forever homes for the cats, dogs, and critters of the Wake County Animal Center.

Wake County Animal Center
820 Beacon Lake Drive in Raleigh
Open Daily from Noon to 6:00 PM  

Near and dear to my heart this season is getting Lucy her very own home by Christmas. She deserves a soft place to lay her head and to wake up on Christmas morning to all the excitement that it brings. But quite frankly – I can tell you in all confidence that Lucy has no real religious affiliations. She’s just looking for lots of love, some good food and a soft bed to take long snoozes on.


Lucy is around 50 lbs. and somewhere between six and seven years old. She looks like all the other Pittie-mixes that fill the shelter except that she’s a wonderful fawn brindle color. She can seem a little crazy when you visit her in her kennel, but I didn’t see that side of her when she spent the weekend. Yeah, she would bounce and play tug or go for a long walk at the drop of a hat, but it also took her only a moment to settle down with me on the couch and spend as much time there as possible, too. A couple of times she wouldn’t even budge to go outside for a potty break. Even so, she had no accidents in the house (it’s a wonderful thing to bring home a dog that is already housetrained). She also did well in her crate while I was out of the house. She needed a little coaxing to get in, but was fine once inside.

I was also impressed with how well she did in the car. After that first weekend I never bothered with the crate; I just had her hop up in the back of my little SUV and we took off. She’d stand and look out the windows some before she sat down for the rest of the ride. And if she was worn out, she’d just curl up and go to sleep. You know, for such an enthusiastic licker she didn’t bother me at all while I was driving.

So, if you’ve been thinking of growing your family now is the time to head over to the WCAC and see all the great possibilities – and be sure to spend a little extra time with Lucy. I just know you’ll fall in love and take her home with you today.

Lucy*Featured*
ID #: 46491
Type: Female Dog
Breed: American Staffy
Color: Brindle- Fawn / White
In Shelter: 49 days
Age: 6yrs 10mths 2wks
Weight: 52 pound(s)
Other Information: No Cats; House Trained;

No comments: