Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Tippi's Update

Each day we’ve seen Tippi get a little more comfortable in our house and consider herself a little more part of our pack. She is constantly stealing the cat’s wet food. I think Spice has actually lost a little weight because we can’t keep the wet food out there for him the way we used to.


She barks. And not that “Pterodactyl” bark when she’s not getting her way, but a big bass bark. So far her barking is reserved for the doorbell ringing and people actually walking up to the house. She was barking out the door Saturday. I went to make her quit. It was annoying me and I didn’t want her to get like Snips, who barked at anyone walking down the street. When I got to the door there were two Jehovah’s Witnesses coming up the walk. “Good dog!”


The incontinence is “mostly” under control. I think we’ve done a great deal of it through controlling how much water Tippi gets throughout the day. Still, every few days there will be a big puddle on the floor where she’s lying. The vet did a final test and there was a residual UTI, but they’re convinced that the “puddling” is a separate issue. They ordered her estrogen and we should be starting it any day now. There are some side effects, such as the potential for cancer and diabetes, but they’re hoping she’ll need such a low dose that it won’t be much of an issue. I’m waiting to see how much this is going to cost as the vet went to a local compounding pharmacy for Tippi’s prescription. We’re told that estrogen is the shiznit when it comes to controlling incontinence.


Tippi got into another little spat with a friend’s dog on Sunday. In retrospect, I’ve watched enough episodes of Cesar Millan’s “Dog Whisperer” that I should have done better for initial introductions of Leeloo and Tippi. First mistake, we met at Leeloo’s house when we should have been on neutral ground. Second, I didn’t walk Tippi before we went over to Leeloo’s as I thought the meet & greet wasn’t going to happen until after we went for a walk with Robin & Ivy. Tippi had WAY too much energy in her. Finally, I just need to be better in my corrections and directions in these situations. My leadership is there because Tippi calms right down, but I need more consistency. Next time we’ll do it right and meet in the parking lot across from Leeloo’s and go for a walk together. Some good bonding time will be good for the two of them.

1 comment:

Vikki's Epicurean Adventures said...

Sounds like Tippi is settling in wonderfully. Why is it always so hard for us "parents" to be patient with introductions? I swear my older cat is about to murder me for bringing two kittens into her home!