Thursday, July 29, 2010

Tidbits & Kibble

Tippette, Toy Destroyer
I thought I’d include a photo of Charlie’s. Tippi scrounged through her training class bag and found a toy. She loves disemboweling them, but at least she’ll play with the carcass for weeks to come. We have a bucket full of carcasses that she’ll go digging through every once in a while to find something to toss in the air to show excited she is.

Tippi’s little incontinence problem seems to be much better now that she’s on estrogen, which is a good thing as she’s been sleeping in the bed. Charlie really wants to know why all the dogs we’ve had choose his side of the bed to lie on; it’s like they know he doesn’t want that doggie smell all over his pillow.
Her sleeping in the bed started last week when she figured out how to get out of her crate while we’re at work. “Figured out” is one way to put it. Really, she just muscled her way out by grabbing the crate’s wire mesh door and pulling until she bent it enough that the latches gave way. The first time she did it, Charlie bent the crate door back and the next morning he put her in there as he left for work. Dan, who’s screening in our front porch, got to the house around 10 AM and she was already out. She bent the door again. We gave up; she now has free range of the house when we’re gone. So far the most trouble she’s gotten into is cleaning out the cat’s wet food bowl, but she does that every time our back is turned anyway.

Saturday morning we had a little excitement on our bike ride. Tippi got her paw caught between my wheel and the bike frame. It was my fault. I asked too much of her. There was a dead rabbit in the road and I rode right by it and tried to make her come along. It was too enticing and when she stopped she went around the back of my bike and I heard a click, click, click, whimper. I stopped short and by the time I turned around she had pulled her paw out. I was afraid she’d hurt it, but she was standing on it in seconds. We ended our ride and went back home. Monday was the next time we went riding and she was just fine, no residual fear.

WCAC Fun
Last week’s WCAC story of the week wasn’t even part of my paparazzi duties.

I snapped this shot as I made my last pass through looking for a particular Chow Chow. Look closely and you’ll see that the food is scattered to the very back of his kennel. The bowl isn’t removable from the inside so he had to do this a mouthful at a time. He never got up; he just sat there and gave this look of disdain. His name is fitting: Hercules.

I think the photo just screams for a whole series of LOLdog type captions …

I will not tolerate mediocre food under any circumstances.
They told me this place served 5 star meals, not!
This IS my opinion of the food and accommodations.
I am the son of a god. I demand better.

Nina
I have to include one last photo. Nina (36525) is just too cute with her one crimped ear. She came into the Center pregnantI have to include one last photo. Nina (36525) is just too cute with her one crimped ear. She came into the Center pregnantand all of her puppies have been adopted, so now she’s looking for a home of her own. She has a great smile and was very friendly when I was in her kennel for her photo shoot. She was surrendered by her previous family, so we know she’s about 2 years old and is partially housetrained. It’s also noted that she’s good with kids, dogs, & livestock. She’s in isolation at the moment as they think she has a cold.

Which reminds me, I took on another role at the Center this weekend — biographer. I was talking with Julie, the main (actually the ONLY) biographer. There are lots of photographers and I figured I could combine my paparazzi duties with writing up biographies and putting them in the system. It’s not the easiest program to use, but I have an advantage in having dealt with non-logical/poor interface systems in my work, so it really was pretty easy for me to pick up what to do. My biggest concern is estimating their weight and determining breed. Need to get me a pocket breed book soon.

No comments: