Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Character Stories

Chip


Doesn’t he look like just the cutest thing? I’m rather proud of the photo ‘cause even in real life he didn’t look this cute. No one had bathed or groomed this baby in a very long time and he looked a mess.


I don’t think my photo ever made it to the Center’s website; he was adopted while I was still going around taking pictures. I’ve had that happen to me a couple of times and it happened to most all of my photos from the Grand Opening as the Center was able to adopt out bunches of dogs during their $25 special event. But, it’s the best time I’ve ever wasted. Like different folks at the Center have said before, “Please put us out of business!”


Jeremy

This is Jeremy. Everyone was so surprised to see him back; apparently the other dog in the house was just not going to put up with anyone new in his space. He may have grown a little bigger, but he still had his mellow, pitiful little attitude when he came back. He tugged at your heart strings every time you looked in his kennel. He never raised his head, only his eyes, and almost nothing will look sweeter than that.
 
Mars
 
Mars on the other hand has nearly driven me nuts several times. His barking is insane … insanely loud, insanely high pitched, and insanely constant. He was in the kennel across from Strawberry Shortcake originally and would carry on non-stop while I sat with her. And it was more than barking during those sessions — it was more like an unending wail.

Having been at the Center a while, Mars has moved around quite a bit. I’d go to take a photo of a new dog and BARK, BARK, BARK, - my goodness, who is that? Oh, Mars. I checked out his profile in the adoption gallery and he had a really “crazy” picture where his head looked much too long for his body. I decided, maybe for my own peace and quiet, that I needed to take a new photo of him for this web profile.

What a beautiful dog. Oh, he’s still high energy and loud, but his coloring and patterns are just beautiful in my opinion. BTW: yesterday I noticed a “Deposit. I’m being adopted” sticker on his kennel … woo, hoo!

Benny Boy
 
It worked, it actually worked. I used the Cesar Millan “don’t acknowledge them if they’re acting crazy and they’ll settle down” method. Benny Boy was just a puppy and the moment I got in his kennel he was racing around like a mad man. He had no training. He had no manners. I held my camera up above his jumping reach, leaned against the wall and turned my back on him. It took a moment, but he calmed down. Well, only for a split second. He was a challenge to get a good photo of. Luckily there was enough variation in his coloring to focus quickly. Even so, several times I had to go back to my “ignoring you” stance and then turn and quickly grab a snapshot of him.
 
Triton
 
And Triton — isn’t he beautiful, so majestic? Even his “just off the truck” entrance photo looked good. I was actually considering him as an addition to our family until I saw him try to make his escape from one of the dog walkers. That chest, man - he POWERED his way past the girl and out of his kennel. It took two of us to hold him back while she worked to get the lead around his neck.


A week or so later I decided he needed some updated photos, so I took the “leap” and got in his kennel. He was actually a very nice dog and you can see here that he does know how to sit. He obviously also knows how to work it for the camera. I keep telling these babies it’s all about marketing yourself.

No comments: