Saturday, July 16, 2011

Can’t Let the Mood Stop You

It came over me quickly at the end of the day. I didn’t want to go to the shelter. It wasn’t the dogs; it wasn’t the people; it wasn’t even the weight of working in a shelter – it was just a mood.

But I had to go. There was a Boxer there who desperately needed a photo shoot ASAP. After all as a Boxer she is part of the Bullie Breed crowd and when friends who have issues with Pitties and such tell you that you need to get a better photo of her you know you have to go. BTW: Her intake photo had her in a funny position, with a mushed face and glowing red-devil eyes from the flash.

Cersi (ID: 56812)
Cersi in Profile


















When I found her she was in a kennel with her sister. Two white Boxers with blue eyes, cropped ears and nearly the same markings on their noses and chins. We were cozy – the three of us in one kennel. They were very sweet. Cersi was the more dominant of the two but not in a bad way. Arya was camera shy but took the best photos. You can really see her blue eyes. Cersi has blue eyes as well. It’s just a thinner ring of blue. Cersi was very good about sitting for her treats but they both like to put their paws on your chest looking for a treat or some affection. When Cersi did that she would snuffle in your face – luckily it was just air.

Arya (ID: 56813)

Life of the Party

Next I went and found Carley. I had taken some photos of her last week and she looked kind of pitiful with some hair loss that she has going on around her eyes. I’ve seen it before at the shelter and it’s nothing bad and the fur eventually grows back, but until then a black dog like her can look bad. So, I had Julie bring in the “Hello Kitty” hoodie. Carley still gave me pitiful looks every time I pointed the camera at her and I never could get the hood to stay up, but in the end I was able to get a few cute, happy shots. Her behavior has improved from last week; someone must be cuddling her and working on her manners. She already knows ‘sit’. She’s going to be a good dog someday.

Carley (ID: 54643)

Happy Girl



















Even spending time with the dogs didn’t improve my mood. I just felt tired so I went home. I felt bad – there were so many dogs that needed their photo taken and so many of the sweeties that I’d photographed in the past were there looking sweet and pitiful all at the same time. And that’s when you realize that you can’t give up – you might have to cut back a little for your own wellbeing, but you have to keep going for these guys.

And isn’t that true in most things we do in our lives that we care about? Charlie had a real tough moment with Tippi this week. The diapering, controlling her water intake and especially cleaning up after her finally maxed him out. But after we had a chance to talk about it and revisit another solution to finding shredded-wet diaper all over the house, he looked at her and realized you can’t give up on her … not now … not yet.

1 comment:

4x4paws said...

I'm so glad you went, because you are the reason those two boxers got adopted.