Sunday, October 3, 2010

Back in the Saddle

I had a wonderful time last night at the WCAC. I took pictures of seven dogs, three of which I would bring home in a heartbeat if we had a bigger house. It’s so funny what can change your mood; the lights were on and there were occasional staff sightings. And I changed my tactic too. At lunch I looked at the adoption gallery and wrote down the IDs of several dogs who had been in the shelter for some days and still didn’t have a good photo. I looked up their locations in the database and once I found one I worked that room for the rest of my shift.

Bear is sweet and oh, so soft. He’s four years old and heartworm positive. I really hope that someone will take him in and get him through the treatment. I sat with him awhile and stroked his head. He even let me kiss his nose.

Karina was the next one that I picked. Yes, she was chosen because she was petite, mellow, and has soft fluffy fur. Don’t let the picture fool you; her eyes are as clear as can be.

Chilli Pepper’s card says that she’s an “Easy going gal!”; somebody must have written that after she’d already been on her walk ‘cause she was very bouncy when I got in her kennel with her. She is a sweetheart.

I had walked by Cookie on search for Bear. She looked more like a little red fox curled up in a ball than a Chihuahua and Rat Terrier mix. She’s very young, only a year and a half, but she’s already had a litter of puppies. She and I had a great time hanging out. She did one of my favorite things; she came and sat down beside me and leaned into my hip. She also climbed all over me. I kept telling her that she was not a mountain goat and I was not a mountain, but I think we must not have been communicating.

Mercury is a sweet, sweet little puppy. Okay, puppy yes, little no. She’s seven months old and already around 40 pounds. She’s been labeled as a Hound and Pit Bull mix. I see more Hound in her than anything else. She is timid; when I first got in her kennel she cowered in the corner. I wasn’t getting very far giving her treats so I decided that we were taking this bull by the horn and I squatted down next to her and started petting her. She was so cute when she started wagging her tail and getting the pitiful look on her face. I wish I could have gotten a photo of her that way, but the camera was having a hard time focusing on her.

Speaking of having a hard time focusing, both Jack and the camera pointed at him had that trouble. He was in the kennel next to Mercury and was putting up a fuss the whole time. You can’t see it in this photo, but he has the cutest white patch on the tip of his chin. He’s also short and has a stubby tail, which is too cute when he wags his entire back end.

Sarge got a photo shot mostly because I have a cousin with the nickname Sarge. He’s handsome, just like my cousin. And very sweet. I haven’t had a chance to look at his records, but based on his kennel sheet stats he must be an owner surrender. Someone has to take him home soon. He can give an intimidating look and then give you a look that will melt your heart. He was very easy going as I got a little “crazy” with my petting.

A good night, lots of sweet dogs to hang with and a sense of real accomplishment in getting several photo shoots completed. I hear they’re getting Halloween costumes for us paparazzi to use … I usually work alone … don’t know how that’s going to work.

No comments: