Thursday, July 26, 2012

On Being Selfish

Last night as I headed to the Wake County Animal Center (WCAC) I knew I was going to act selfishly and photograph dogs that I wanted to meet and cuddle with – I didn’t get to cuddle, but that’s a whole ‘nother story for a whole different blog.

When I first started volunteering as a photographer I would walk the dog rooms and pick who I wanted to spend some time with, but more recently my focus has changed to see who has been there the longest and is too young to go outside with A & R. I’ve met some wonderful dogs this way, but yesterday I just wanted to meet dogs that interested me. 


Snowcap (a.k.a. Winter) (WCAC ID: 72837)
Snowcap (FYI – her name was changed to Winter today) was spayed the day before her photo shoot, but it didn’t slow her down. She did an adorable little twirl when I got in her kennel – stopped, looked at me and did another twirl – and again, a quick stop, a quick look, and another twirl. She was very sweet and took her treats with manners. She is truly gorgeous – be sure to go to the WCAC gallery and check out the photos A & R took outside.

Lucky (WCAC ID: 75318)
Lucky is an older dog who’s family could no longer care for him in his old age. It was his first day at the WCAC so he was feeling stressed and giving me every calming signal he knew whenever I brought the camera up to snap a pic. He’s a big boy but he really seemed to be a sweetheart.

Bailey (WCAC ID: 75261)
Bailey was on my list for a few reasons. One, she’s an older dog and that was my thing last night. Two, she’s my friend P’s current WCAC favorite – yes, she’s trolling the gallery waiting for K to give the signal so they can take the plunge again. And three, her intake photo makes her head look completely out of proportion to her body. She’s fluffy and sweet – I really want to take her to J & K at All About Pets Grooming and see if she’s really a beige dog or just needs several baths. She really seems like a sweetheart – yep, I want to bring her home as my next foster, but I need to find out who needs me.

Chloe (WCAC ID: 75135)
And Chloe, she looks older than her kennel card says and she’s kind of a sausage – LOL, maybe she should come home with me so we can start an exercise program together. She had a nice mellow energy and took her treats very gently. 


All of these guys and dolls are looking for their forever families, so give in to your selfish side and stop by the WCAC today – you may just find the perfect fix that turns you selfless.

No comments: